A Basic Guide to Cat Care
- All kittens should be evaluated by a veterinarian for any congenital defects and for a series of vaccinations against common bacterial and viral infections such as feline distemper, feline leukemia, and rabies.
- All kittens should be tested for fFeline AIDS and feline lLeukemia virus infections.
- Your cat should be spayed or neutered anytime after 6 months of age.
- Declawing can also be performed at this time at the owner’s discretion.
- All cats should have annual exams including vaccines or titers and stool examinations to check for intestinal parasites.
- Once your cat is over the age of eight years, annual blood tests should be performed to catch illnesses early, such as diabetes and chronic renal disease.